18 July 2013

Finding Aid For The Acklen Family Papers


The Acklen family papers, 1804-1889, finding aid is online courtesy of Tulane University.  The papers are focused primarily on transactions in the West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana, area.

Jim's Photo Of A Map Hanging In The Angola Prison Museum

I went through this collection, document by document, in the Spring of 2005, before Hurricane Katrina hit.  As I was only allowed to make a copy of one item, I was relieved to discover that the collection was still intact and not a victim of  the hurricane.

I was not familiar with most of the names in the file; my goal was to find any corroborating evidence about Elizabeth (Acklin) Hinds, my presumed ancestor, who was the aunt of Joseph A.S. Acklen, Adelicia, for whom the Acklen family papers were named.  No Hinds information was found, but it was a fascinating file nonetheless.

Here are some notes of my notes; Tulane's finding aid is vastly superior to mine!
Lucy Perrie will at residence Ira Smith presence of Jos E. Johnson, John Stirling, Ebenezer Cooley; daughter Nancy Ann
Bennett Barrow to Wm B. Lane
Wm B. Lane to Wm R. Barrow  March 1826
Wm R. Barrow To ISAAC FRANKLIN
Wm Barker to George Rowe
Mrs. Mary Ann Smith, wife of Ira Smith
Solomon Alition???
Heirs of John Alicton???
James Perrie
Edward Randolph & Judith &? Iredith Barclay

One of the Barrows, of the family mentioned above, in the West Feliciana, Louisiana, area, and the Acklins from my Relatively Fiction blog:

-- H. L. Hunley's brother-in-law, Robert Ruffin Barrow, was Adelica & Joseph Acklin's neighbor in the West Feliciana, Louisiana, plantations. Hunley, who was born in Sumner Co., TN, invented the Confederate submarine named for him.

Since my first visit, I've learned more about the residents of West Feliciana Parish.

No comments: