18 June 2012

I've Got The Date Of Death But No Obituary In Sight

After searching for information about John C. and Mary E. Shaw in the Kent County, Michigan, deeds, at the Library of Michigan [see In Deeds Kent Co., MI, post], I looked for an obituary in The State journal (Lansing, Mich.) microfilm, found in the catalog here.

The State journal.
 LIB OF MICH MICROFILM PAPERS 2N  1911:Oct. 2-1911:Dec. 12   CHECK SHELF
 LIB OF MICH MICROFILM PAPERS 2N  1912:Jan. 2-1912:Mar. 30   CHECK SHELF

Mary E. Shaw, a resident of Leslie, Ingham County, Michigan, died December 26, 1911; the editions of the State Journal from December 13, 1911 to January 1, 1912, are not on the above described microfilm (I physically checked the cabinet(s) and also scoured the film to be re-shelved; the catalog confirmed it).

Do the missing issues even exist?  If so, where are they housed?  Did another newspaper possibly publish an obituary for Mary E. Shaw?  Right now, I don't know.

I remember reading a blog entry recently (can't remember whose, sorry) where the researcher found an obituary about 8 days after the date of death.  So with that in mind, I went through a few 1912 January issues, but found nothing (glad I looked, though).

After a cursory look through the cabinets in the "newspaper" microfilm room at the Library of Michigan, no other newspapers that might have Mary's obituary jumped out at me.

The "other" microfilm room had about 9 rolls of microfilm with the town and township of Leslie (Ingham Co., MI); records that I left on the shelf unexplored.  Probably no obits in the town and/or township records, but perhaps some other pertinent information...?

No comments: