21 November 2009

A Genealogy Letter From Jeannette Tillotson Acklen

A letter from Jeannette Tillotson Acklen (the same one who had compiled vital records in Tennessee) to the gentlemen at the Compendium of American Genealogy on behalf of her daughter, Pauline, was found in the archives of the Franklin Co., TN, public library:


Nashville, TN
Compendium of Am Gen.
Chicago, Ill.

Gentlemen:

I am writing you at the request of (my daughter) Mrs. Robert Landis, Pauline Acklen Landis. She wishes me to give you the date of her paternal grandmother's death, Dec, 1887, in New York City (her grandmother was Adelicia Hayes Acklen).

Her mother, Jeannette Tillotson Acklen was born Nov, 11, 1871, Leavenworth, Kans, and married in Kansas City, Missouri, Jany 30, 1890.

She requests me to sent you a sketch of her ancestor, Chancellor Robert R. Livingston which I am inclosing (sic). If there is any fact you desire for her line I shall be most pleased to furnish it if I have it.

I am trying to locate the line of my great grandfather, Thomas Tillotson of Rhinebeck-on-Hudson. He was Surgeon General of the Northern Department of the Revolutionary army and married Margaret Livingston, sister of Chancellor Livingston. A family tradition says the family came from Maryland. Can you tell me where I could find this line?

Jeannette Tillotson Acklen

Very truly yours,
Mrs. Joseph Hayes Acklen
Acklen Park,
Nashville, Tenn

More about Thomas Tillotson (1751-1832) here.

Pauline Acklen's husband named as Robert Landers (sic) here; he was a real estate agent, so that is most likely the connection to Julia M. Barker (who killed Edith Mae Cummings).

My interest in the Acklen family is my ancestor, Elizabeth (Acklin) Hinds, who was the aunt of Joseph Hayes Acklen (husband of Adelicia Acklen). See some of my other Acklin-related blogs here, here and here.

No comments: