24 June 2019

Eustache Gamelin Letter To Colonel Bouquet


A letter from The papers of Col. Henry Bouquet....:



[TRANSLATION] 

Detroit, June 24, 1761. 

Sir : 

I received the letter you have done me the honor of writing, about which I am very appreciative of your good information. 

In return, I have the honor to write you the present letter, to assure you of my very humble respect, and to thank you for all the kindness you have shown me. 

I beg that you may be willing to continue these kindnesses. 

I shall always try to do everything, as far as it depends on me, to merit your esteem. 

I am wishing with all my heart, to be able to contribute to the sale of Mr. Hamback's goods, as much in consideration of you as of him. But I think he will, manage very well, having plenty of intelligence and a good partner. I am sending you by him a beaver robe and a small sack of [pocannej] (porcelain?). I wish, Sir, that I had something worthy of being presented to you. I should give it with keen pleasure. But, alas, where there are only barbarians, one cannot obtain anything very valuable. 

I have the honor to be with a very profound respect, 
Sir, 

Your most humble and most obedient servant. 


EUSTACHE GAMELIN 




No comments: