18 July 2018

Backus Told Strang's Story



Source - The King of Beaver Island by Charles K. Backus

Clarke Historical Library at Central Michigan University houses a Strangite Collection, which included letters sent and received by Clement J. Strang.

Letter #7

Postmarked July 18 [Probably 1875]

C.J. Strang

Respected Friend:

Your postal came.  I will send the Diamond.  It is the only one I have.  I am jealous of the man Backus, and fear that he will not give James J. Strang a fair representation.  Would it not be well to hint to him?

I have a letter from young Joseph, in which he offered to let me be a co-worker if I will affiliate with his disciples.  But I cannot adopt his and usurpation.

Other Notes:

Joseph in Plano, Illinois    Sept 1877....Where is Clement and how is your mother's husband....Gabriel is in Ohio, or was last I heard from him.


No comments: