05 November 2016

Sister Goldsborough To Florida



Elizabeth Wirt Goldsborough (Fold3), Widow Of Admiral Goldsborough


An excerpt from The Tiernan And Other Families book that mentioned Florida:

"My dear Sister [Elizabeth Wirt] Goldsborough leaves us in a few days for Florida, her husband having determined to return for her, as there is nothing to be apprehended from the Indians now. It will be a painful separation for us, tho' we cannot but acquiesce in the propriety of her going."

"I have written almost in the dark, and have just light enough to tell you, that I love you very dearly, my dear Madam, that it will give me great happiness to hear from, or of you, at all times, and to ask you to remember me to my many kind friends around you. Catharine says she will write to Gay soon.

Sister Elizabeth and herself join me in love.
"Your truly attached

"Ellen Wirt."


A biographical profile of Louis M. Goldsborough, that indicated that he moved to Florida in 1833 "taking with him a colony of Germans to cultivate lands belonging to his father-in-law William Wirt" and commanded volunteers in the Seminole War:


A description from a visitor to Wirtland, the Florida plantation:




No comments: