15 March 2016

William Roark's Pension



EKU
William Roark
Photo from Eastern Kentucky University Special Collections and Archives (http://archives.eku.edu).


My transcription below; Fold3.com has William Roark's pension is online.


Pension Application of William Roark, #S-32495

State of Illinois
Gallatin County

On the 15th day of March 1833 personally appeared in open court before the Hon. Thomas C. Browne, judge of the Circuit Court for the county aforesaid now sitting, William Roark, a resident of said county, in the state of Ill., aged 73 years in June next, who being duly sworn according to law, doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the act of Congress passed June 7th 1832.  That he entered the service of the United States under the following named officers and served as therein stated.  That he was drafted into service in the county of Sussex, state of New Jersey first under Captain John Fleet and served a tour under him during which time we were marched to Amboy in said state.

The next tour of a similar service was under Capt. Mark Thompson, during which time we were marched to a place called Bound Brook.  The next tour was under Capt. John Maxfield.  These several tours comprised a time of...

I do not recollect many of the United States officers excepting those mentioned and General Washington who was about this time in New Jersey and General William Maxfield the brother of my captain.  Some where during this time Capt. John Maxfield received a commission of captain in the regulars, and enlisted a company at the Grand Camps and I enlisted in it under him.  I was at the battle of Millston and took a prisoner at or near the settlement of Monmouth.  I had lived with an uncle who was acquainted with the General and he came down and got me off from further service at this time.  I moved and settled on the Monongahela waters but at what particular period these transactions transpired I am unable to recollect as I have no record of them or of my age.  In the year 1782 I think in June, but maybe in Aug. or Sept., an order came from Gen'l Clark for men and there was a draft.  He came down the Alleghany.  I again entered the service under Captain Michael Catt, and went to Wheeling on the Ohio river where we were to join Gen. Clark, but he had gone on down the river.  Colonel Lochry had not come in.  The general intention was to go to the falls of the Ohio, to get a reinforcement from the Kentucky settlements thence to proceed against the Indian towns.  We started under Col. Lochry or Laughery and had nearly overtaken Gen'l Clark, but got defeated by the Indians in June or July about ten miles below the Big Miami as it was said, some said it was further.  All were killed but forty-seven who were taken prisoners among which I was also taken.  The Indians took us to their town and after some time we were taken to Detroit.  From Detroit we were taken to Canada and confined about forty miles from Montreal where we were kept ten months or upward.  Then we heard of the surrender of Cornwallis at York.  Then under British orders we were taken to Quebec and put on board of a ship and taken to New York where we were discharged on parole (17th March 1783) for there was not prisoners to exchange for us.  I heard afterward the British got prisoners for us and I got home in January or February 1784.  After this time I resided on the waters of the Monongahela in Virginia from whence I moved to Muhlenberg county where I resided ten years.  Thence I moved to Gallatin county, Illinois, in the year 1810 where I have resided ever since.  I hereby declare I have received no compensation from the government of the U.S. and that I relinquish all claims to a pension except the present.

Sworn to and subscribed this 15th March 1833.
William his X mark Roark
in...
Leonard White  3-15-1833




No comments: