18 August 2014

Abingdon's Black's Fort

At the farm of Captain Joseph Black, where Abingdon now stands, between four and five hundred people collected together to build a fort. The erection of Black's Fort was begun on the 20th day of July 1776, the same day that the battle of Long Island Flats was fought and the news of the victory of the settlers in that battle was received the next day.

Source: Black's Fort Messenger, The Official Newsletter Of Abingdon, VA
(See "Source" link above for the whole map and newsletter)

About the 24th of July 1776, Capt. James Montgomery, who had settled on the south fork of Holston river about eight miles from Black's Fort, came to the fort he and two other families having decided to defend their own homes.

*Black's Mill Dam

No comments: