06 April 2010

Thankful For The Ancestor Approved Award

Kim from Ancestors of mine from Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky & Beyond, passed along the Ancestor Approved award to my "Detour Through History" blog. Thanks Kim.


Part of this award is to describe 10 things that have surprised, humbled and enlightened me about my ancestors. In addition to items mentioned in my "In Deeds" blog:

1. My Grandma Katie's mother died when she was about 3 years old and her oldest sister, Pearl, did her best to raise her younger siblings.

2. My 2nd great-grandfather, David Swinyer, was a Civil War veteran from Franklin Co., NY (although born in Quebec) who moved to Texas Co., MO, in the 1880's.

3. The tavern said to be once owned and operated by my ancestor, Christopher Acklin, is still in use in Abingdon, Washington Co., Virginia.

4. Jim's Dad, Richard S. Palm, occasionally had lunch with the original Henry Ford the car guy.

5. Ancestor (4th great-grandfather) William Hinds died 25 June 1813 as a soldier in the War of 1812. Private 2nd Art. Listed as "Died" not "Killed." [Source: Known Military Dead During War of 1812, compiled by Clarence Stewart Peterson, MA]

6. Phillip Bush, an ancestor belonging to my niece and nephew (not me), had a deed signed (witnessed) by James Madison and Zachary Taylor's grandfather.

7. Johan Philip Palm, a distant relative in our Palm family tree, was executed for publishing libelous pamphlets about Napoleon [see last paragraph here in my "Relatively Fiction" blog for more details].

8. Alexander Posey, a General in the Black Hawk War, was a grantee in a deed where my ancestor, William Roark, was the grantor.

9. Adelicia (Hayes) Franklin married my 1st cousin 5 times removed, Joseph A. S. Acklin (see more info here and here).

10. Geocaching took us to a grave of a Greer cousin in Alabama.

I would like to give a virtual award to the many genealogy blogs I've enjoyed and hope there are many more to come.

No comments: