15 March 2009

Helms of Detroit - A Death Record Online

Miriam at AnceStories posted an update of the status of Michigan death records online at the MI Archives. That's the good news. The bad news -- the Library of Michigan is considering some Draconian actions up to and including permanently closing the Library. See the article Miriam referenced here.

By coincidence, I checked the Archives website for death records updates last night and found (among other things) a death record for Julius Helms of Detroit, Wayne County, Michigan. He's my grandkids' 4th great-grandfather. Hopefully I'll remember to look up an obituary for Julius Helms, who died 8 December 1913, when I return to Michigan (if the Library is still accessible and/or perhaps the Burton Collection at the Detroit Public Library).

An even bigger coincidence occurred earlier today -- a researcher contacted me today via e-mail inquiring about Julius Helms -- just hours after I found new information online. Helms was one of a handful of surnames I checked last night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for helping make people aware of the need to contact Michigan (State) legislators regarding the library and archives.

PalmsRV said...

Pam,

A big thank you right back at ya since you started the ball rolling. I sent a message to Tom George even though I'm legally a Florida resident. Also sent your link to my son-in-law and asked him to pass it along (I'll ask my CPA daughter to do so after tax season is over!).