31 August 2013

John Johnson And No Further


I have not gotten past John Johnson, my 3rd great grandfather, in my Johnson family research.  The Johnson line ended with my grandmother, Katherine, who married James H. Garrett. 


Here's my first post about looking for John Johnson's roots.

John Johnson was born about 1793 in Georgia (possibly Pulaski County, but that's just a guess).  He married Mary (Polly) Greer, of Greene County, Georgia, about 1814.  The Johnsons also lived in Wilson County, Tennessee.  They were in Gallatin County, Illinois [enumerated in the 1840 census], probably between 1829 and 1832, based upon the ages and birthplace of children Elizabeth and Lucy.  In a Saline County, Illinois, history, John and Polly Johnson were named as James' parents.


United States Census, 1850
Eagle, Gallatin, Illinois, United States
Household Gender Age Birthplace
John Johnson M 56  Georgia
Mary Johnson F 57  Virginia
Elijah Johnson M 15  Illinois
Nancy J Johnson F 12  Illinois
James Johnson M 10  Illinois
Martin Johnson M 9  Illinois
Rebecca Greer  F 70  Virginia

I've poked around Georgia records, but am I looking for a James, an Elijah, a John or possibly a Martin (or something else) as a given name for John Johnson's father?  When and where was John Johnson's father born?  I have no idea.


No comments: