13 April 2012

Will Of James Johnson Of Saline County, Illinois

James Johnson's Will, Dated 28 December 1910


KNOW ALL MEN BY THESE PRESENTS:  That I, James Johnson, of Harrisburg, in the county of Saline and State of Illinois, being of sound mind and memory, and knowing the uncertainty of this life and the certainty of death, do hereby make, declare, ordain and publish this instrument to be my last will and testament, hereby revoking any and all former wills by me made.

First,-It is my will that all of my just debts be fully paid.

Second.-After the payment of all of my just debts and the purchase of a suitable monument to be placed to my grave, I give, devise and bequeath to my children, Elvira Elizabeth, who has now married and whose present name I do not now know, and James D. Johnson, Josephine Rice, William Logan Johnson and Jacob Grant Johnson and to the children of my deceased son, George W. Johnson, all of my property of every kind, real, personal and mixed, which I may own at the time of my death.  That is to say, -- I give and bequeath to my five children now living and named above, each the equal undivided one-sixth (1/6) part of all of my estate, and to the children of my son, George W. Johnson, now deceased, the remaining one-sixth (1/6) part of my entire estate; and in case either of my children above named should die before my death, then it is my will that the children of such deceased one shall take the part or portion herein allotted and bequeathed to its or their parent.

I hereby nominate and appoint my son, William Logan Johnson to be the executor of this my last will and testament, and I recommend and request that he be so appointed without bond.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunt[o] set my had and fixed my seal this 28th day of December, A.D., 1910.

Signed: James Johnson (Seal).

We, the undersigned, do hereby certify that the above named James Johnson on the date aforesaid signed, sealed, published and declared the foregoing instrument to be his last will and testament, and we, at this request and in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereto attached our names as subscribing witnesses thereto.

Charles Dewey
__________ (name truncated)

Note: James Johnson, whose will this represents, as well as his son, James D. Johnson, were my ancestors.

No comments: