26 June 2011
The National Pike or Old Cumberland Road Signs
The National Pike called the "Old Cumberland Road," was used starting in 1811 and used to Wheeling in 1817 and by mail coaches from Washington by 1818. Most of it followed the Nemacolin Path and Braddock's Road from Cumberland, Md.
Vandalia was the western terminus of the Cumberland or National Road which extended eighty feet wide for 591 miles from Cumberland, Maryland, through Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois. Construction by the Federal Government began in 1811 and ceased in 1836, the approximate cost being seven million dollars.